Saturday, June 17, 2006

Visit to Chua Dieu Giac

I contacted anh Tho at the noodle house via cel phone to get the address to chua Dieu Giac. He text messaged me the information so I was able to show the taxi driver without details being lost in translation. It has been five months since I have been back and I was eager to see the children again. The pagoda where the children are cared for is not fancy, but there something special about this place. I miss that energy that emanated from all these children.



The cab driver assisted me with the box of gifts through the gates of the pagoda. Anh Tho greeted me and informed me that chi Lien and anh Thao were also present. These were the core members of VNHELP for the operations in Vietnam. They were also accompanied with a camera crew ready to film the children as part of a Sponsor a Child documentary. The sponsorship program had recently started and some of the sponsor parents were going to visit. This documentary was going to capture some of these moments.



Chi Lien and anh Thao greeted me along with a sister monk that was present to take care of the children. There were some familiar faces among the children’s faces but there were also some new ones. I had brought back some gifts from some of the sponsored parents and was given a script to play out for the documentary. It was rather amusing since the camera director requested that I bring the box outside the monastery and re-entact the entrance. There was more fanfare this time with all the VNHelp crew in assistance with the arrival of the box of gifts. I had actually already removed some of the heavy gifts in the box when we went through the reenactment so it was no longer that heavy. Trying to act the part, we place the box on a motor bike and pushed it in while being directed on where to stand to optimize lighting and composition.



There were three children that had presents from their sponsored parents. The gifts included M&M candies and wrist watches. This also included a personal letter to each child. The children were young at about 6 years old. I also brought some additional gifts of cloths and toys that were given to me from friends. I learned that clothing was more challenging since it requires matching up the right size to the right child. Co Bao who is one of the senior sister monks was going to assist in the distribution of the clothing.



The plan was for us to first give the three sponsored children their gifts from their sponsored parents before distributing the rest. While waiting, the camera crew went to film the various training programs that the older children were participating in. This included drawing and performance arts. I also followed the camera to see all the interesting things that was going.



While meandering through the courtyard, two little girls remembered me from previous visits. The two girls were fascinated with the camera as I showed them the pictures that I took of them. They competed to view the pictures and also asked for me to “am” or to carry them. I had to fortune of holding on to two of the most darling little girls. There was surprising amount of trust and hunger for affection. I recall this from the boys from my last visit. It is really heart warming to receive from these children.



We proceeded with the filming an interviews of the three selected children. I was passed a microphone and we reviewed the draft script that was emailed from chi Thu from VNHELP in San Jose. I had to ask for the child’s name, their age and their sponspored parent’s names. We did a brief rehersal before the camera started to roll and things went rather smoothly. We were surrounded by other children and other VNHELP team members. The little red light went on so I started out with the questioning. I tried to place the microphone close to the child’s mouth since they were very timid and soft spoken. I gently repeated the question in attempt to solicit more lucid response with no avail. It appeared as if the moment of truth created stage fright for the children and one by one, I had no luck. The cameraman shook his head signaling that this is no good. He took the microphone back suggesting that we do something different since he was not able to pick up any useful sound from the interviews. We tried it once more with the different sitting arrangements. The VNHELP team members coached the children prompting what they should say with their names, age and parent’s names. There were even phrases of gratitude as to what they should say to express their thanks. But it was a lackluster performance. The cameraman no longer handed me the microphone. It was suggested that another adult try the interview. I felt disssapointed. Not in the children but in my inability to bring out their playful talkative side. I felt as if I failed the project.



We no longer used the microphone and the child sat on my lap as we tried it again. There was a little more responsive this time. It was not quite the Oscar performance that the team was hoping for but at least the children did utter a few words. I wasn’t sure if the content could be used but perhaps there was some value to the exercise.



We then passed out some toys that I had along with M&M candies. Some children were into the little hot wheels cars while others passed it right up and went for the chocolates. They were very respectful showing gratitude as they received their gift. But it was clear which gifts they preferred. I then showed co Bao the box of clothes which were given from friends. Co Bao was able to select a pick a dress for one of the children and she was able to model it right there. It was darling. There were many other outfits that were more suitable for warmer weather but perhaps can not be worn in the midst of summer in Vietnam.



There is definitely a special energy at chua Dieu Giac. Everything is old and rather run down. The courtyard will muddy from the rain and there is nothing really esthetically attractive about the place. But the energy of the children and their joy was very contagious. Their level of affection was also heart warming. Co Bao was walking me out and thanked me for taking the time from my schedule in the short visit to Vietnam to see the children. I told her that in the few days I have in Vietnam, the happiest and most treasured times for me is spent here at chua Dieu Giac.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home